Friday, August 12, 2011

Brave New World: 2

"'The principle of sleep-teaching, or hypnopaedia, had been discovered.' The D. H. C. made an impressive pause." -pg 25

Last chapter I found myself wondering, "How can this book get any weirder?" Well, I found what I was looking for. First, I was astounded to see the experiments on the Delta babies. While the idea of teaching children to avoid negative things by scaring or harming them is affective, this procedure of sounding a deafening alarm in order to brainwash toddlers seems more like a brutal torture rather than a utopia to me.

As for my quote, I thought Reuben Rabinovitch's story was very intruiging. The idea of hypnopaedia, or teaching kids while they sleep by reciting quotes or facts, sounds like it could be a real practice in our world today. Another aspect of his story that was peculiar: in this time, the word "Polish" seems to be little-known, because it is now "a dead language. Like French and German..." (No German? How terrible!).

No comments:

Post a Comment