Thursday, February 16, 2012

"If sight and shape be true, why then, my love adieu!" (V.iv.76)
Ok, so it's good I have an opinion blog left because the ending of this play really ticked me off.  The first thing that set me off was how Ganymede, an unknown man who strangely looks like a woman, traveling with his sister (to get the full effect of my anger and suspicious, you have to imagine furrowed eyebrows and lots and lots of air quotes), magically got four couples to get married on the same day. No one thought it was odd that a random man asked a stranger to promise to marry another person? Anyways, not one character thought it was sketchy that the magical person who arranged these four marriages wasn't even at the wedding!? Ridiculous.

Then the quote from Act V shows peoples' reactions to the unveiling of Ganymede. So when Phebe finally realizes that Rosalind, a woman dressed as a man who she fell in love with in like a day, is actually a man, she says a sentence and leaves. What is that?? Scenario: you just found out you instantly fell in love with someone pretending to be a man and now, because of a bargain, have to marry another man you were disgusted by yesterday. And what's even better, she just shrugs it off, like, "Oh, you fooled me!... Ok, I think I'll marry someone else now!"

I think I despised the ending because it was so realistic, and the timeline for the play was just off. There's no way all these characters plotted to kill each other, cross-dressed, changed their religious views, were attacked by lions, and tigers, and bears (Oh my!), and all got married in under a week. I guess the abrupt ending could be a sign of Shakespeare's disinterest in his last comedy play. Well, way to go, Bill. It wasn't very funny. I'd just stick to the blood and betrayal in tragedies. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment