Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Bartleby the Scrivener

" 'I think he is a little deranged,' said I, sadly. 'Deranged? deranged is it? Well now, upon my word, I thought that frind of yourn was a gentleman forger; they are always pale and genteel-like, them forgers. I can't help pity 'em--can't help it, sir.'" -(pg. 673)

This quote is really amusing to me. It is so because it shows that that some people actually have pity towards Bartleby. I find this incredibly hard to believe. In fact, Bartleby was my least favorite story. It seemed like it went on forever, thanks to 30-some pages, and really nothing interesting happened. So, I hated him because he didn't really do anything interesting in the story- even if it was something stupid like shoot another character. The other reason was that he refused to do the simplest tasks. Like in the clip we saw earlier, he said, "I prefer not to...." I mostly hated him because I didn't undestand why he didn't wanted to do the simplest things. That indirect characterization showed that he was on-edge, nervous, and strange-all which makes him a really unappealing, unlikable character.

No comments:

Post a Comment