Wednesday, November 2, 2011

"How I Met My Husband"...the mailman

"We saw it come over the treetops, all red and silver, the first close-up plane I ever saw. Mrs. Peebles screamed." (pg. 130)

This short story was definitely my favorite. I think it was because it was extremely relatable. Every woman can remember her earlier years, probably spent swooning on some movie star or celebrity. For my mom, Tom Selleck, for me, James Marsdon, for a billion little snot-nosed pre-teens, J-Biebs, and for Edie, Chris Watters. As the quote shows, Chris Watters coming in with a bright, shiny plane caused any girl around him to be blinded by the wonder and awe of his suavity and coolness. Because every girl has this romantic image of the ideal man, this story (as cliche as it sounds) transcends time.

My favorite part of this story was probably the ending, because of its intense irony. Although the title implies that most of the story, about Watters, would be about the speaker's husband, it is actually referencing the mailman, who doesn't even appear until the last page and doesn't receive a name other than "Carmichael." This irony, however serves more of a purpose than amusement. It shows the immaturity and naiivity of teenage girls who dream away their lives, waiting for "the letter" that is never coming. Basically, the author wants women to come to their senses and take what life really has to offer instead of implementing fantasy instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment