Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Hunters in the Snow

"'I'm going to the hospital,' Kenny said. But he was wrong. They had taken a different turn a long way back." -(p. 201)

I think an important literary device here was irony. This last line of the short story throws in a final piece of irony to give extra "umph," I think. The actual irony is that Kenny thinks he is going to the hospital and will recover shortly. However, since Tub forgot the directions, and they made a wrong turn, that won't happen. Basically, Kenny is going to die because of Tub's mistake- when he shot him and now when he forgot the directions at the bar. So the way I see it, Kenny is paying the price and suffering because of Tub's idiocy and Frank's unawareness. This shows a bit of the theme which I think is that stupid things come back to haunt-either they hurt the person performing them, or they negatively impact that person's surroundings. So, for me, the main message of this story, revealed throught the final lines of irony, is to act the exact opposite way of the main characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment