Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Frankenstein- Ch. 18-21/ Mirroring Creation/Death Scenes

"I thought with a sensation of madness on my promise of creating another like to him, and trembling with passion, tore to pieces the thing on which I was engaged. The wretch saw me destroy the creature...and withdrew....Several hours passed...and the wretch whom I dreaded appeared." -pg.121-122

This quote, on top of being really creepy, something I didn't expect from such a popular story, shows tons of parallelism between the destruction scene and the earlier creation scene. First, once the creature has seen Victor destroy his lady friend, breaking their agreement, he flees. (This I don't understand: you're so angry someone has broken your promise, your only chance at hope and happiness, so you run away. I guess he was just blowing off steam...Also, I'm still confused as to what the creature does during that time period-killing Clerval, perhaps?) Anyways, just like the first scene, Victor retires to his room and comes back several hours later. And after that, the creature reappears, just like he did the first time. Both times Victor retreats out of fear, but at least he has a good reason to run away this time.

Also something that I noticed (probably not right) was that the first time, Victor ran away from the monster. But the second time, the monster was the first one to leave, and then later return. I saw this as a shift in "masters" or that it signifies that the creature is the one "calling the shots" now, and Victor is pretty much forced to do what he says. I am at least happy that Victor didn't go through with making a female monster. If he had done that, there could have been so many things that could go wrong. I guess the monster will just have to live without a lady friend to call his own. Poor sasquatsch. :'(

No comments:

Post a Comment