Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Frankenstein- Letters/Foreshadowing

"You seek for knowledge and wisdom, as I once did; and I ardently hope that the gratification o your wishes may not be a serpent to sting you, as mine has been." -Victor Frankenstein (pg. 13)

First of all, I think this is one of my favorite books I've read. I'm not really into horror movies since I'm a whimp, but this book makes it both interestingly terrifying and tolerable. It's definitely boring, which is a big problem with reading for me. Anyhoo, my literary term for the Letters section is foreshadowing, one thing that adds to suspense and honestly, a bit of confusion. In this quote, Victor is telling Robert Walton that his ambition for learning may lead to devastation, just like his did. This comment not only reveals that Frankenstein's quest for creating life was a success, but that it had a bad outcome. Obviously, his creation has "stung" him, so that begs the question, "Who, what, where, why, and how" did this to Victor. This foreshadows the story of what happened in between the creature's creation and present time.

Another instance of foreshadowing that creates suspense is when the men on Robert's ship see "the shape of a man," implying its freakish nature, driving a dogsled. This seemingly random event raises so many questions- most of them still unanswered. What we do know is that Victor is desperately chasing the monstrosity he created and is getting beaten.

No comments:

Post a Comment