Monday, April 30, 2012

Slaughterhouse-Five- Time-Travel/Reality?

"It was about an Earthling man and woman who were kidnapped by extra-terrestrials. They were put on display in a zoo on a planet called Zircon212." (pg. 201)

This blog is mainly aimed towards clearing up the ending of the book. The quote, the plot from one of Trout's books, describes what Billy says he experiences throughout this book. My question is: which book is true? I'm assuming they didn't have the same story because that's just too much of a coincidence. So, was the time-travel throughout the novel just Billy experiencing memories? Or was it just hallucinations caused by the plane crash in Vermont? Either way, I'm still not set on the whole time-travel concept. I think it would be a really interesting concept to go back to any moment and be able to focus on the good instead of the bad. I also think that the Tralfamadorians' view of death as powerless is a good way to look at things. If death were momentary, no one would worry about death because they could always choose to redirect their thoughts. Or, that would give people an excuse to not fear consequences of their actions. As of now, I still don't understand the concept- if others were involved, how long it lasted, etc. I guess I'll just have to wait to be abducted by aliens.

1 comment:

  1. I also made the connection between the novel and Billy's claimed experiences. My thought was that he was replacing some of his painful memories with better ones from books he read. Sometimes I think that he would rather be a character in some of these novels rather than be Billy Pilgrim.

    ReplyDelete