Thursday, October 6, 2011

"Death, be not proud" -Donne

"Death, be not proud, though some have called thee migthy and dreadful, for thou art not so;" (Lines 1-2)

I really liked this poem. I thought it was less like a piece of literature and more like a pep-talk, which I found kind of funny. It seemed like a person who was "talking down" death who actually believes what they're saying. But I also envisioned a sick or scared person who was trying to convince himself that death wasn't a big deal or is not as scary as people say. Either way, it was refreshing to read someone taking an opposing view against death: rather than talking about how frightening it is, the speaker is proving that death is not such a mighty force that we associate it with. The most-used literary tool here was personification. The author uses it here to describe death as if it were a bully- or that's how I perceived it- something big and mean with a scary reputation. Anyways, I thought the message was just to stand up to fears because they're not really that bad up-close.

No comments:

Post a Comment