Thursday, October 6, 2011

"Lonely Hearts" -Cope

"Do you live in North London? Is it you?" (Line 3)

I think this poem is my favorite. Besides the use of repetition of this quote, I found a strong sense of satire in this poem. First of all, the poem's talking about "lonely hearts," which pretty much says it all. The focus is entries of an online dating website. I think as the poem progresses, the entries get more...pathetic? or desperate. To me, I envisioned people sitting crouched over computers in little dark rooms, writing that they like long walks on the beach. Needless to say, I found this poem pretty funny. I think the poem is satirical because it's mocking how open-perhaps too open- people are online with their personal information. Or, it's plainly mocking people who are desperately looking for someone online, and not in the "real worlds." Either way, I'm pretty sure the author meant to criticize online dating in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment