Thursday, October 6, 2011

"Do Not Go Gentle into That Good Night" -Thomas

"And you, my father, there on the sad height, curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray. Do not go gentle into that good night." (Lines 16-18)

I was a bit confused by this poem. I got two different messages from it. First, I believed the last sentence of this quote, repeated throughout the work, to mean that we should "go out with a bang" when we die. That, of course, reminded me of Amy Winehouse. The other message I found was at the very end, in this quote. I saw it as a son telling his sick/dying father to keep fighting and try to hold off death as long as possible. THAT made me think of Sean Connery in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen when he says,  "Old tigers are most fierce when they sense their end." To me, this second meaning is more probable and effective, because saying "Give it your all!" is a more persuasive encouragement when the person being told is on their deathbed. Anyways, right or not, I think the messages I infered are very good ones: go big or go home, and don't give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment