Thursday, September 29, 2011

"The Apparition" -Donne

"I had rather thou shouldst painfully repent, than by my threatenings rest still innocent." -Lines 16-17

This poem was a my favorite because it was easy and clear to understand. I took the poem's setting as a dead (figurative?) ex-boyfriend watching and thinking about his former lover and her replacement for him. To me, the tone here was of a very emotional, bitter, vengeful, and perhaps immature ex. Especially evident in these last lines is the fact that the speaker is intend on psychologically getting revenge on his lover and/or making her feel guilty. The speaker also says, "What will I say, I will not tell thee now," revealing a sort of sick pleasure of the man keeping the woman in suspense of his "payback." He also says, "My love is spent," so he's definitely beyond taking her back. Another reason for the woman to feel guilty is that she killed him (probably figurative for breaking up with him) and then dating another man or cheating on the first man. Either way, this poem would make a really good drama series.

No comments:

Post a Comment