Thursday, September 29, 2011

"Hazel Tells LaVerne" -Machan

"Kiss me just kiss me once on the nose well i screams ya little green pervert" -Lines 17-20

I think this poem was also very relatable because it has been shown numerous times in the media, most recently in a Disney film. This story, however, has a more unfortunate and frankly, more realistic ending. It's the story of a frog asking a princess to kiss him in order for him to become a prince. I must say I enjoyed the spinoff- it gave a fantasy idea a more realistic situation. The author's style of no punctuation is meant to show that the speaker is uneducated. Besides that, I felt like the vernacular was the greatest literary term used here. For example, "Well i screams ya little green pervert an i hism with my mop" shows exactly how the author conveys the speaker's status, education level, and description. I believ the author intended for the reader to assume that the speaker is an African- American. Perhaps a deeper meaning is that the author is criticizing racism. Because of the woman's attitude towards herself, "me a princess," (probably sarcasm/obvious disbelief) and her uneducated status, society would not consider her a princess. I also don't know the significance of flushing the frog down the toilet three times. It could just be another fairy tale, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqB3ybtYQXI&feature=relmfu

No comments:

Post a Comment