Wednesday, September 7, 2011

"Those Winter Sundays" - Robert Hayden

The first thing I thought of when I saw this title was the song "Summer Nights" from the musical Grease. The poem's theme, however, was pretty much the opposite. And I don't think this would make a very good musical, considering the central idea is about a father, or a worker, works constantly and is not appreciated.that  The son is the villain here, in the sense that he is not thanking his father. The son's part could also be interpreted as the worker's company or boss, who doesn't pay him enough or at all. To me, I felt like this poem addressed the issue of taking things for granted. And because every person takes something for granted, this poem is universally relevant. It rang true for me because nowadays, younger children are being taught to be thankful for what they have and help others who have little. It was refreshing to see that idea in story-/poem-form without being blatantly told, "Be thankful!"

No comments:

Post a Comment