Wednesday, September 7, 2011

"I Felt a Funeral, in my Brain" - Emily Dickinson

This poem's structure is one big symbol. That is that the funeral which the speaker feels is really the "death" of her sanity, or her normality. The author also uses repetition and an analogy in lines 5-8 when she describes the feeling: "And when they all were seated, a service, like a drum--kept beating--beating--till I thought my mind was going numb--." Then, in the last stanza, the author says, "And then a Plank in Reason, broke, and I dropped down, and down--and hit a World, at every plunge, and finished knowing--then--." I believe that is symbolism for either when it "hit her" that she was not sane or when she died from her illness. By using these analogies, she creates imagery for the reader. That makes her concept visually conceivable. It also makes the piece more interesting, I think, whereas some authors might just tell the audience straight out that the speaker is sick. Emily Dickinson's analogy is much more entertaining and makes the reader think.

No comments:

Post a Comment