Thursday, September 29, 2011

"Crossing the Bar" -Tennyson

"And may there be no sadness of farewell when I embark;" -Lines 11-12

Besides tone, I think this poem's strongest device was a metaphor. For me, I took this quote as referencing the speaker's death, or "crossing the bar." Sadness is obviously associated with death, and when we die, we are embarking-either on a journey to the afterlife, or as some believe, just leaving. I also thought the "flood" in line 14 was a symbol for our journey in life. Just like unpredictable waters, life brings up new challenges for us to face. I also think when the author writes, "I hope to se my Pilot face to face when I have crossed the bar," he means he wants to go to heaven and see God after he dies. Although the poem is majorly addressing death, because of this quote, the author creates a worry-free tone that encourages the reader to view death positively. Lastly, the "no mourning of the bar" could either mean the author wants a painless, fast death, or that he simply wants people to celebrate his life rather than mourning his passing.

No comments:

Post a Comment