Thursday, September 29, 2011

"My mistress' eyes" -Shakespeare

"And in some perfumes is there more delight than in the breath that from my mistress reeks." -Lines 7-8

First of all, I don't think Shakespeare is giving a great first-impression. This poem, until the very last two lines, is basically insulting every aspect of his mistress. Saying things like her breath is not as pleasing as perfume, "her breasts are dun," and that "she treads on the ground" just sound like Shakespeare is working against himself. After reading these lines, I was sure it wasn't a love poem. The last lines, however, change it up; he states, "and yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare as any she belied with false compare." Basically, I interpreted this as his lover being mediocre, but rare and still special to him. I don't quite understand if he is criticizing or praising his lover. Overall I think the tone shifts from a bitter, criticism to a more polite, honest, complimenting attitude-showing Shakespeare is a romantic at heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment