Wednesday, September 14, 2011

"Toads" - Philip Larkin

I thought this poem's tone was kind of dreary, saddened, and negative overall. That's also what I think of when I think of a toad, so maybe that's another thing meant by the author. I think the central theme of this is something like, "Don't let something hold you back or get in the way of your dreams." I think this because lines 25-26 say, "For something sufficiently toad-like squats in me, too." This just means that the author has something holding him back, or a negative toad-like quality that is keeing his from "getting the girl and the money all at one sitting." This guy sounds like a real optimist.... I took he next lines, "Bud I do say it's hard to lose either, when you have both" as kind of the "kicker." He makes the positive or negative point (depending on how you look at it) that it's difficult to get the fame, the girl, and the money, but once you have all three, it's hard to lose one component. In a way, he's expressing hard wok pays off.

No comments:

Post a Comment