Wednesday, September 14, 2011

"Pink Dog" -Elizabeh Bishop

There is a lot of smbolism in this poem. From seeing the title I knew the dog probably wasn't a dog. I'm not sure what it is exactly, but I'm thinking the social outcasts.And the water these outcasts are thrown into is shame. One more thought I had was that in 32, the author mentions Carnicval. I don't think this is really just a fair or something like that. I interpreted it as the second coming of Jesus. The author asks, "What sambas can you dance? What will you wear? I thought that was referencing how Catholics are always being told, "Ready yourself for the kindgom of God:" giving a good impression.

In a more literal sense, I thought the "Canival" in line 32 could be the Karneval, which is the last day before Lent, "Fat Tuesday,"  in German. It could be this because the author also mentions Ash Wednesday, the day after. It could also be referring to the Germans' celebration, because in lines 34-35, the author says that "Carnival's degenerating --radios, Americans, or something, have ruined it completely." When she says Americans, that sort of implies that she is a foreigner.

No comments:

Post a Comment